ENTERTAINMENT / Movies
French film star Jean-Paul Belmondo may soon make his comeback
Updated: 2007-07-29 16:52
PARIS – France’s legendary film star Jean-Paul Belmondo may return to the
silver screen at the ripe age of 74, emerging after some six years of
recovery from a stroke.
Belmondo’s return would be directed by Francis Huster who wants to
produce a new version of the film “Umberto D.”, the 1951 master work of
Italian director Vittorio de Sica, Le Parisien newspaper said, citing
When contacted by AFP, the actor’s wife, Natty Belmondo, confirmed the
project and the actor’s “joy” about doing a new version, but added that
“nothing has been signed yet.”
The film “Umberto D.”, which would have the French title “A man and his
dog,” tells the story of a retired teacher who lives in misery with a dog
as his only companion.
According to sources close to the production, the film’s insurers have
not yet given their approval.
Belmondo’s last film was “Amazones” with Arielle Dombasle in July 2001.
In August that year, Belmondo suffered a serious stroke while on vacation
in Corsica which left him partially paralyzed. Since then the actor has
undergone intensive therapy and has made consistent progress.
In December 2002, he married Natty, his companion of 13 years, and in
August 2003, he became a father for the fourth time with the birth of his
Top Entertaiment News ?
* Lindsay Lohan’s new movie one of the worst of the year
* Steve Martin weds at LA home ceremony
* “Simpsons” movie enjoys huge box office opening
* Witherspoon, Vaughn to star in holiday comedy
* “Lost” world offers game, mobisodes, books
Today’s Top News ?
* Negotiators ‘hopeful’ in Korean hostage crisis
* US to curb Iran with Gulf army deal
* Illgal gov’t charges fuelling soaring house prices
* Penalties vary as kids die in hot cars
* Official urges Dalai Lama to abandon secessionist
Most Commented/Read Stories in 48 Hours
20071123 Extracted From http://www.learnchinese.bj.cn